Monday, May 25, 2009

Spelling Bees -- What a Waste of time!

It's Spelling Bee season again, and once again students all over America will be trying to learn to spell words they never heard of. And the ones they have, they probably have no idea of what they mean.
.
So, what's the point? I remember when I was in school I had to learn to spell words from a long list of words I never heard of. Sometimes I would wonder if they were even real words!
.
If they are going to have these things, they need to make the students not only know how to spell the words, but they should give the definitions, and maybe even use the words in a sentence (and NOT someting like "I don't know what [xxxx] means" !).
.
By having to learn the defintions, the students' vocabularies will be increased SO much, and this can only help them in their academic pursuits.

1 comment:

  1. no its pretty much pointless anyway you look at it. if you're the only one with a high vocabulary then no one gives a shit... maybe instead of memorizing a vast number of useless words they should instead focus on perhaps foreign languages...

    ReplyDelete