Saturday, June 16, 2012

Stargate SG-1

`
I recently bought the 10-season set of Stargate SG-1. I never watched the series until the last season when Claudia Black (the fabulous Aeryn Suun of Farscape) joined the cast. But since it was on for so many years, I figured it had to be a great show. (Plus, the set was offered from Amazon.com for about fifty bucks.)

The pilot episode referenced back to the original movie (which I have on DVD). Some of the things mentioned I had to think about to remember. And it was pretty good as pilots go. All the characters were introduced and the premise of the series was shown.

The first episode took up where the minor cliffhanger of the pilot ended. And you pretty much knew what had to happen. Unfortunately, the second episode was kind of disappointing. It reminded me too much of some of the Stargate Atlantis eps (which I watched in reruns) -- the team went to a new planet where the culture was different, and there were problems with Samantha Carter (Amanda Tapping) being captured and having to be rescued.

And I really hope the rest of the shows are better than that one.

A few extra comments: In the pilot episode the bad guys were capturing women to breed. One of the women (Daniel Jackson's wife) was captured, then had her clothes ripped off and she was standing there naked from head to toe - full frontal nudity. But since the show first aired on Showtime I guess they could do that.

A lot of people on the sci-fi newsgroup (now Sy-Fy) mentioned their deep admiration for Amanda Tapping, but I couldn't see it. She has a show called 'Sanctuary' which I never watched until the DVDs were loaned to me. And this Amanda (older, long dark hair) is pretty interesting. But compared to the younger, blond Amanda, not much going on. Maybe she will grow on me.
`

No comments:

Post a Comment