Monday, July 25, 2011

The Horrors of Television Programming

.
Like everyone else (I presume) when watching our favorite TV shows, we often have the dilemma of trying to decide which show to watch that is airing on the same night at the same time (or sometimes, more than two shows) as another show we want to see.

I don't understand why networks do this. Why put on an obviously popular show opposite another one that gets big ratings? Wouldn't it make more sense to to air a popular show the same time another program on another station that isn't so popular, and therefore, make sure your show gets more viewers?

(Of course, the down-side to this for viewers is that a show they might like that doesn't get big ratings might be cancelled because of even lower ratings. This happens to me all the time, it seems.)

But maybe now that almost everyone has either a DVR or has a cable system's OnDemand, I suppose networks figure that eventually their shows will be seen.

I don't have a DVR, but I do get Comcast's OnDemand, so I can still watch shows I would otherwise miss. But it's still aggravating that so many shows (that I watch) seem to air at the same time, on the same night.

And to show you what I mean, below are the programs I watch during the week. (And when the Fall shows start up, I may post that list as well.)

Sunday -
8 pm --
9 pm --
10 pm --
"The Glades" A&E
"The Protector" Lifetime
"Falling Skies" ** TNT
"In Plain Sight" USA

Monday -
8 pm -- "Eureka" Syfy
9 pm --
"Switched at Birth" * ABC Family
"Warehouse 13" Syfy
"The Closer" TNT
10 pm --
"Alphas" Syfy
"Rizzoli & Isles" TNT

Tuesday -
8 pm --
9 pm -- "The Nine Lives of Chloe King" * ABC Family
10 pm --
"Combat Hospital" ABC
"Hawthorne" ** TNT
"Covert Affairs" USA

Wednesday -
8 pm --
9 pm -- "Royal Pains" USA
10 pm --

Thursday -
8 pm --
9 pm -- "Burn Notice" USA
10 pm -- "Rookie Blue" ABC

Friday -
8 pm -- "Flashpoint" CBS
9 pm --
10 pm --
"Haven" Syfy

Saturday -
8 pm --
9 pm --
10 pm --

The two shows on ABC Family with the asterisks ( * ) are shows that aren't offered On Demand so I have to watch them when they air.

And the ones with the double asterisks ( ** ) are the ones I watch at the time they are on.

So, as is pretty obvious, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday programming can certainly be improved.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment