Thursday, January 28, 2010

"Avatar" the Movie

For the second time in three weeks I went to see Avatar. Both times I went during the week to the 11 am matinee, and maybe, maybe there were ten people in the theater - just the way I like it. But before I get into the movie itself, I have to say there NEEDS to be an intermission. The movie runs about two hours and forty five minutes, and the last hour I was in PAIN, I had to pee so bad!

As for the movie, of course I paid the extra $3 for the 3D version (it would be stupid NOT to see it in 3D). And it was well worth it, the 3D was excellently done. About the only thing I could criticize, and there may not be any way to avoid it, was when things went by in a blur my eyes were a bit -- uncomfortable.

The story is nothing really new -- the bad guys want / need to get the indigenous people (the Na'vi) off their land so they can have it for themselves. In this case it was a very rich deposit of an element called Unobtanium, with sells for something like $2,000,000 (or maybe $20,000,000) per gram (or maybe kilogram) under their Home Tree.

The Hero, Jake Sully, takes his twin brother's place when he is killed as a "controller" of an Avatar. Avatars are grown (semi-cloned) using DNA from humans and the Na'vi. And there are a few differences in them. For instance, the Na'vi have three fingers and a thumb (ditto for their feet), the tank-grown Avatars have four and one.

As Jake, in the Avatar body, becomes more in tune with Na'vi and the jungle he takes on more of their ways and feelings, and eventually becomes one of them. But the Bad Guys (from Earth) decide Jake can't get the Na'vi to move from their Home Tree (where the ore is) and so they attack it, bringing it down with rockets (it stands forty or fifty stories tall, more or less). So Jake helps the Na'vi (and all the animals of the jungle) defeat, and send packing, the Earthings. And thanks to the link with the Na'vi's deity/goddess Jake permanent leaves his human body for his Avatar body.

And they lived happily ever after - until the sequel.

I really like the movie despite its length. And except for having to pee, the movie moved along and you (I) really didn't realize how long it was. And once into the story, the 3D was so natural you forgot about it until the story slowed down and once again you were aware of it.

And yes, I certainly DO recommend everyone go see it.

One last thing -- the female Na'vi wore next to nothing and, being male, I was checking them out, seeing if I could see anything that might be considered a nipple-slip / genital-slip. But since they were kind of paisley blue it was hard to tell. And of course, James Cameron only showed us what he wanted us to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment